Ever noticed how you need to sign up and pay for something called “third party insurance”? Most people have no idea how this concerns them or why they have to pay for the third party since they are the first party.
The Motor Claims Framework or MCF has made third party insurance claim a necessity to get your license and to drive a vehicle legally.
After the MCF made it essential to report every single accident regardless of the damage done, there is a 24/7 hotline available to report the accident whenever it happens.
What is third party insurance?
In the case of an accident, third party insurance covers any costs and damages done to the vehicle as well as the person who was in the other vehicle. The person is held guilty for their fault and has to cover the costs in the form of car repairs or whatever medical care is required by the third party. The third-party insurance benefits the injured third party or their damaged vehicle.
What is MCF, and how does it work?
The Motor Claims Framework is a set of rules that every person must follow if they plan to report an accident. After the collision, you will need to collect the necessary information from the other driver as well as yourself. It is essential to click photographs of the scene, ask around for testimonies, and finally, call up your insurer to tell them about the accident.
After this, you will need to take the car for the investigation to the other person’s repair workshop. If the person is found guilty, your repair costs will be covered by them. However, if you end up doing the repairs before the inspection, you will have to pay for it upfront.
If you fail to report the accident within 24 hours, you might have to pay a fine, and your insurer might cancel your insurance altogether.
Here are the steps in detail
- Exchange relevant information between you and the party. Share your contact numbers, addresses, insurer’s details, names, and policies. This will help the process of filing go over smoothly.
- Get plenty of evidence of the scene. Photograph or ask someone to take photos of the damage done to vehicles, people, and the environment. Ask people to come forward to give their statements about what exactly happened.
- Contact your insurer and report the incident and ask them what is needed. Ask for a tow truck if your car has taken too much damage to be driven.
- Contact the other person’s insurer and ask for an inspection. The damages need to be checked by them so that they can note it down and send it to their workshop for inspection.
- Once the claim is filed, send your car into the insurer’s workshop for repairs. Hand the claim over to the workshop so that the damages will be covered by them. If there are medical claims, hand it over to the hospital to take care of it.
Follow these simple steps and contact your insurer for any more information on how to go about the claim without making any mistakes.